Saturday, December 12, 2009

Reindeer Run


I'm in Central Florida this weekend, and I took the opportunity to run in the 14th annual Cape Canaveral Reindeer Run this morning, benefitting the United Way. 377 runners, on a pancake-flat course through the streets of Cape Canaveral, along the beach. it was cloudy and 71 degrees at the start; quite a change from the cold temps of Virginia.

I started out relatively fast (for me, at least), running the first mile in 8:47. I hit a head wind as I headed east, though, in mile 2, and fell back to an 8:57 pace. Mile 3 was better, at an 8:45 clip, then I turned it on for a 47-second finish over 1/10 of a mile, to come in at 27:16 (an 8:48 pace), a new personal best for me in the 5K.

I finished 136th out of 377 overall (top 36%), 86th out of 184 males, and 13th out of 22 in my age bracket.

The "swag" was a nice long-sleeved technical shirt, and the typical post-race fare of bananas, bagels, and sports drink. High marks, though, go to being able to do your recovery on the beach in December. There was also an Elvis impersonator greeting runners as they cooled down.

Next up: the Rotary Resolution Run in Leesburg, a 10K on New Year's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment