Friday, January 27, 2012

Goodbye, Old Friend

I regretfully announce the demise of my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 running shoes, to which I affectionately named, "My 11's". They were 6 months old.

My 11's guided me through a tough summer. I bought them shortly after I suffered a mild calf strain in June, and they were good to me as I tackled the tough hills of Reston after my move here in early July. My 11's also were there when I set 5K personal bests within 5 days of each other in November. In short, they were a very good pair of shoes; very comfortable, to say the least.

By the Fall, they were starting to show their miles. I went to the running store in November to purchase a new pair of 11's, as I was going to rotate shoes during my run streak that was going to start on Thanksgiving. I'd use My 11's for the short runs, and my new 11's for the longer runs. But when I went to the store, they had already phased in the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 model (which is also a very good shoe).

My 11's went through a lot during the run streak. I used them as my rain shoes, and also as the guinea pigs for my first run in Ice Trekkers. They gave me 360 very fine miles. My final run in My 11's was this morning, as I ran through a heavy downpour. Last I saw of My 11's, they were sitting on the floor of my laundry room, drying out.

And that's where they'll be today when I bring home my new pair of Brooks Adrenalines. And my current "A" shoe, which I will call "My 12's", will be relegated to the duty that My 11's performed so valiantly these past 10 weeks. They will be my back-up shoe.

But fear not, My 11's, you will not be forgotten. You'll be relegated to a life of dog walks, odd jobs around the house, and trips to Trader Joe's. Oh, and get used to your new friends, Adidas Running Pants; you'll be spending a lot of time with them.

Until My 12's wear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment