Monday, August 30, 2010

All About The Karma

I'm not a big believer in the supernatural, but things happen, and I wonder why I don't. Take, for example, this morning.

First, though, let me go back to my weekend. I caught a 3-hour concert from my all-time favorite performer, Bruce Springsteen, on TV on Saturday (I'm a Jersey boy). My wife didn't seem too happy that I sat around on a Saturday afternoon watching an 8-year old concert, but hey, it was in HD. And it was Bruuuuuuce (she's not a fan).

Sunday morning, I get up at the crack of dawn to get in my long run. 10 1/2 miles through the neighborhood, never once doubling back on a road I'd just run. I've never done that in my neighborhood before, so there's another good thing.

Last night, as I was planning my training for the week, I figured I'd have to do my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday, since we're going up to my cousin's house outside of Philly for a family reunion on Sunday. As a result, my training runs for this week will be on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. That also means having to run my 5 miler (which I usually do on Tuesday) today, a day after my long run. I generally like to take a rest day both before and after my long runs, so this would be a challenge.

I went out this morning with the goal of not running it too hard, not getting injured, but also getting in some quality miles. And I pretty much hit my goal of running the 5 miles at about 65% of my Heart Rate Reserve - 64%, to be exact - which I've been having trouble doing on my easy runs (I tend to run them too hard). So far, so good.

So I get to work today and hook up the iPod, since music helps get me through the day. It's on "shuffle", and the first (full) song that comes up? Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run".

'Cause tramps like us; baby we were born to run

It's all about the karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment